Can an employer disqualify my hire because I answered “no” as to whether I’ve been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony other than minor traffic violations, if I have?

I am hired for a job. I have been convicted of misdemeanor traffic violation. I didn’t know it was a misdemeanor until I looked up the penal code. I just have a fine. However, I purchased my criminal history and there are not any convictions on there. I was arrested for domestic violence. I’ve never been to jail in my life. I was bailed out. However, no charges was filed. When I purchased my criminal background check, it just states the day, time, and location of arrest. Can I obtain a certificate of release from the local police department and hav

Asked on September 4, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your hiring can be disqualified for any reason unless you had a signed written employment contract guarantying your job or limiting the reasons you could be terminated. That includes for having a misdemeanor as well as for incorrectly answering a question about it. d on what you write, your employer could disqualify your hiring if you have a criminal conviction or mistate your conviction status, an employer is entitled to not hire you or to fire you if already hired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.