If I’ve tried to get my stuff from my mother house since she kicked me out a few weeks ago but she is now refusing to give me my property, what can I do?

Asked on November 7, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her to recover either the value of the items (you'd have to provide evidence, whether in the form of receipts, of testimony by yourself, or others, or of correspondence and other documentation, as to both the fact that you were the owner of these items and their value) or for the return of the items themselves (you'd need only to establish ownership)--or for a combination: i.e. the return of what she can return, and the value of the rest.

The simple fact is, your mother has no right to keep your belongings even if you no longer reside with her--even if she evicted or otherwise removed you. Unfortunately, there is no mechanism for recovering your belongings other than by filing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.