If I have to use my own money for work and then get reimbursed when I provide recepits, what to do if I have an overdraft fee because of it?

I had 2 overdraft fees while being “on the road” for a week straight. I had to pay for hotels, fuel, food. I do not carry a credit card for financial reasons so the money I spend is from my bank account. I don’t think that I should have to pay for the fees since it’s their problem that they require me to pay for everything. Should my employer pay them?

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer does not have to pay or reimburse these fees. Employers may make it a term, condition, or requirement of employment that employees pay for travel expenses; this means that if you want to work there, you have to be able and willing to do this. If you do not or cannot, that is your responsibility, not your employer's. You need to make sure you have sufficient money in the account to pay travel costs, or get a credit card (possibly a secured card) for this purpose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.