What to do if I have to go to court to prove my eligibility for unemployment benefits because my previous employer is contesting me trying to claim benefits?

Can you help?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In order for an employer to contest the award of unemployment benefits, they have to show that you were terminated for cause or that you didn't put forth your best effort.  You need to show that you did put forth your best effort.  Often, this process is very much "he said/she said." To show that you were a good employee and that you tried to perform your functions, pull together witnesses and evidence to help demonstrate your case.  If you had any good letters or reviews from a supervisor... you can show them to the court.  If you received an employee of the month award any time in the recent past, it would show your attitude was at least good enough to obtain the recognition of some of the higher ups in the company.  If there is at least one co-worker that saw your work effort, see if they would be willing to come and testify as to your performance and your efforts.  It is not an exact formula... but the more documents or witnesses you have, the better the chance that you can prevail on your claim for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.