What do I do if I have to go down to the police station tomorrow to give a statement because my father turned in a credit card to them that I had in my possession?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do not speak with the police without having an attorney present. You could well make incriminating statements, no matter how unintentional. And the fact is that you don't have to agree go in for questioning or make a statement, even if they come to your house.

Again, you need to consult with a criminal law attorney. They can best advise you on how to proceed. Postpone going in if you have to but get a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.