If I have to attend to an “alcohol treatment program” as the result of a DWI, can the treatment staff really tell me what prescriptions I can and cannot take?

I have to attend the program twice a week due to a 5 year old DWI. The program is required by the DMV to get my drivers license back and is not court ordered. In their “Outpatient Treatment Agreement” it states “The treatment staff must clear the use of prescription or over the counter medication before you take the medication, unless it’s an absolute emergency.” I take several prescription medications and have no problem providing them with copies for drug screening purposes. My doctor has told me not to discontiue use. Do I have to ask their permission before taking any new prescriptions even if my doctor has prescribed them to me?

Asked on February 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You are reading too much in to this.  If you are taking medications that are prescribed by a physician and the physician can verify that they are necessary for you to take then it is unlikely that the people that run the program will try and over rule that.  They just need to know what they are.  Since this is a drug treatment program there will be screenings and the drugs will pop up I am sure.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.