I have three relatives in El Salvador that I want to invite to my college graduation and I wanted to know how to get them visas to come visit me?

I am graduating from college and I wanted to bring my cousin, her daughter and my uncle from El Salvador to be with me on that special day. I have not been able to travel to El Salvador for 7 years because I became paralyzed and I haven’t seen them in 7 years. My family takes care of them financially sending them money every month and I wanted to know what the process is to get a visa for them.

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can invite them but the issuance of the visitor's visas to them will depend purely on their ability to convince the consular officer that they are not interested in immigrating to the US (and show substantial ties to El Salvador) but that they just want to come to the US to visit their relatives and attend your graduation ceremony.  It is not at all a given that they will be able to get visas.  It will all hinge on their strong ties to the home country and whether they will be able to demonstrate that to the consular officer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.