What to do if I have temperary guardianship of my niece and need full guardianship through the courts so I can get her on my insurance?

Her mother, my sister, who has full custody of her is 100% behind us in getting gaurdianship. But her father who only has visitaion and is $60,000, plus behind in back child support won’t sign guardianship papers. Do I need his permission to get guardianship of her? She is 14 will be 15 in about 2 months.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I would consult with a family law attorney to have a full guardianship agreement drafted up to be signed by your sister, the mother of the minor child who has full custody of the child giving guardianship to you. Attach the order of custody as an exhibit. Once your sister signs the suggested document you should be in a good position to get your niece on your insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.