What to do if I have stolen $2000 worth of products from my former employer and they have gotten the police involved but I haven’t heard anything yet?

I still have 90% of the items. If I give them back will it help me and what sentence do you think I will get?

Asked on February 4, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you in the matter that you have written about where he or she acts as an intermediary for the return of the items you have in your possession from your former employer. Their return most likely will reduce any charges and ultimate sentence against you in the event of a criminal conviction for what you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.