If I have some unwanted house guests and would like them to move out, is there a legal way have to do it?

They have been living with us for less than 30 days.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The easiest way to have unwanted house guests leave one's home is to simply request that they leave by a certain date and time. If that does not get the result that you desire, your recourse is to serve these "guests" with a thirty (30) day notice to vacate.

If the "guests" do not vacate within the thirty (30) day period after being served with the notice to vacate, your recourse would then to file an unlawful detainer action in the county court house against them. If matters come to that point, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices landlord tenant law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.