i have sole custody of my daughter we are moving out of state my ex say he does not have to pay child support any more

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Family Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This question, out-of-state relocation with a child, after divorce, is an area of law which has seen many changes in recent years, and there are still considerable differences between states;  in some states, the changes in the law are recent enough that experienced lawyers and judges are still finding their way.  I'm not an Illinois lawyer, but I would very strongly recommend that you not do anything to lock yourself into this move, before talking to a qualified family court attorney in your area.  One place to look for a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Your ex will still have to pay child support, but if he wants to keep his relationship with your daughter (assuming he's been doing that so far), he has that right, and a workable visitation schedule would have to be put together.  His child support might be reduced, to reflect the increased visitation cost, but he will still have to pay something.

If you leave the state with your daughter, without permission from either your ex or the court, it's possible that this could cause you serious problems.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.