What to do if I have shoplifted many items from my place of work and they have been systematically firing employees and I think I’m next?

My co-workers have described a “statement” in which they had to list the the things they stole, their price, and that they am willing to pay it back, and my co-worker talked to the manager and told him what happened, he was like “when’s your date of birth?” They told him then he said “unfortunately I have to terminate you”. Should I get a lawyer?

Asked on November 10, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract protecting your employment, you are an employee at will and can be fired at any time, for any reason. There is really no point to getting a lawyer to try to protect your job, since without a contract, if your employer wants to fire you, they can--there simply is no guaranty of a job with an employment contract.

However, you do not have to answer any questions about what you did or did not steal. If asked, you are probably best off not answering, since if you do tell them that you stole anything, they can take that information right to the police--and fire you anyway.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.