What should I do if I have separated from my wife after a 2 year marriage but she is a Peruvian national and we want a divorce?

We were married in Peru. We came to the US 6 months ago and she has returned to Peru and won’t be returning. I am 62 and she is 56; there are no children or community property involved. It wasn’t an amicable separation. She wants a divorce too but she maybe difficult to service in Peru. I am looking to do this as easy and with as less expense as possible. What should I do next?

Asked on September 22, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have an address for her, you can have her served by mail.  Your situation should be very simple if there are no children or community property involved.  I would file ASAP.  Go talk to a local family law or divorce attorney today and get this thing started.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.