Is there any other way for me to get my pension without my wife’s signature?

I have recently retired from my job from after 16 but my wife will not sign my pension papers (we don’t get along at all). I asked the social security office if there is anything else I can do to receive the pension that I have earned after working a job which has left my body worn out. They said that this is my only option to get my pension. My wife and I are not separated but she does not want me to get pension and therefore won’t sign the papers. I have to pay all the bills around the house and my bank accounts are starting to run low. I have 2 children to support at home.

Asked on January 10, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I do not understand why your wife needs to sign documents for you to get the pension that you are owed. I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with the pension office's representative to see if the pension checks can be issued to you and your spouse jointly if that is going to be an issue. That is one option.

You need to be shown why the spouse has to sign off on your pension. Such does not make sense to me.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.