If I’ve been charged with possession of less than a half ounce of pot and haven’t had any criminal priors, what should I do to try and get it off my record?

I’m a college student about to graduate and with my prior history and the amount (less than a gram).

Asked on February 22, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Given the circumstances of no past criminal conviction, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if you qualify for the court's diversion program. If you do and complete the process, the charge will be dismissed without a conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.