What should I do if I’ve been approached by a police officer regarding an incident where a taxi driver is accusing me of a minor assault?

He says that I slapped him on the arm. I told the officer that I choose to remain silent and that I have a lawyer (I actually do not).This is why I want to ask advice on what to do next. The officer told me that a witness saw me slap his arm.

Asked on November 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have indicated to the police that you have an attorney so it could be interpreted to mean that they can not question you with out him or her present.  Now, you don't have an attorney right?  But maybe now you do need to consult with one about the matter given that the taxi driver obviously filed some type of complaint and they seem to be investigating. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.