What to do if I have received a package from my parents’ estate lawyer to settle and disburse their Will/Trusts final wishes but I disagree with the accounting?

I have to send their lawyer a response, who is working with trustee, and have to disagree in writing this week according to the letter in the package. Can I reply with a simple sentence or two stating I disagree and wish to see full and proper accounting? Should I mail my response certified mail receipt requested? This is not a probate court case at this time and I wish to keep it this way.

Asked on June 30, 2014 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It may be a good idea for you to consult with an attorney and hire him or her on a flat fee basis to send the letter for you. The lawyer will know the proper wording and the receiving attorney will give him or her the deference deserved.  If you do not wish to do this then I would send a letter stating that you object and wish a formal accounting and yes, I would send it by certified mail RRR.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.