If I’ve received a notice to appear in criminal court for a bad check but pay the balance owed to the store before the court date, will this help?

Asked on March 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It will not automatically result in the charges being dismissed (since the act of passing the bad check already occured) but will definitely help by showing either or both of a lack of criminal intent (plausibly, the original bad check was an error, and when you discovered it, you corrected it) or contrition (you've done what you can to make amends).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.