What to do if I have reason to believe my ex-wife has taken out a life insurance policy on me?

I have been receiving a lot of mail addressed to my ex wife but under my last name lately. The mail is all from the same insurance company and seems to be legitimate, as it contains personal information about her and states that she has been interested in insuring “our family”. I know my ex wife very well and she has been in court many times trying to sue people for money, and isn’t exactly happy about me being alive. How can I look into this further, and if the insurance company won’t cooperate, what can I do from there to stop this?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Insurance Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Well, first bring all the information to your attorney just in case as you intimate that bad things may happen with her.  Now, your ex wife does not have what is known as an "insurable interest" in your life any longer.  The divorce severed her right to take out a policy on you.  So although it may not give you any peace of mind here she would not be able to collect on a policy should you die or meet an early demise.  I would try, though, to contact the insurance company that has been sending the information and let them know that you are no longer married and that there is no "family" as you put it.  See what they say.  The decide if your attorney needs to send a cease and desist type letter.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.