What to do if I have had rain pouring in my window for a year and a half and getting no results from management?

I have to put towels in my window when it rains and it does not help very much, not to mention how tacky it looks. I have complained to the office about it and all they tell me that management has put bids in for new windows but does it take a year and a half. The water is ruining the walls and it is very annoying having to put towels there that dont do much of anything and then I have to wash towels where I have to pay to wash and try.

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Initially, take 15 to 20 photograghs of your damages. If you have to file a civil complaint in your local District Court, you will need tham as evidence. Assuming you are a renter and not an owner, you can place your monthly rent in an escrow account, separate from your other monies. Next, write a certified letter to Management, telling them your are placing you monthly rent money in an escrow account until the windows are fixed or replaced. When writing the letter, you must identify the esrow account, including the Bank's name and address and the account number on the escrow account.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.