What to do if I have primary custody of my children and provide their health/dental and financially cover 99% of their needs but have been ordered to pay their father child support?

He only sees them 35% of the time. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Family Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Considering the amount of time that you have the children and the amount of support that you already provide them, you can file a motion to modify the current custody orders.  The process starts with a motion to modify.  You need to request a modification of the visitation and support orders.  From there, you would have your ex- served and request a final hearing if he will not agree to the modification.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.