IfbI have possession of stolen property misdemeanor, can it be sealed?

Asked on February 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, New York


Arkady Bukh / Bukh Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have already been convicted of the misdemeanor and this was in New York, you cannot have it sealed. �If your case is still open and there has been no final disposition, then it is possible that you might get an ACD and after a certain time period the case will be dismissed and sealed. �Discuss this with your attorney.�

M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Only under limited circumstances, can a record of a misdemeanor conviction be sealed in NY. For more information you can google "New York" and "Sealing a Criminal Record". You can then determine whether or not you qualify to have your record sealed. If you are still unclear after doing this, you can consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.