CanIhave the amount of support that I am supposed to pay modified?

I have paid my ex-wife $100,000 in 6 years. Now I have lost my business and can’t pay her house payments. Is there away that I can get out of what I arranged when I divorced?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It may be possible to have the settlement or divorce decree modified. To do so, you would have to go to court (assuming you can't negotiate the change with your ex-wife) and ask the court to modify the amount based on a change in circumstances. You'd have to demonstrate true inability to pay the amount as currently set, not merely that it would be burdensome to do so. Getting a court to modify a decree or divorce settlement is not necessarily easy, and involves, as noted, instigating a legal action. You would be well advised to retain a divorce or family law attorney to help you--the cost of the attorney would be more than offset by getting the reduction, and an attorney would greatly increase your chance of success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.