If I can ask for a reduction on child support based on my new salary, do I need to give away options as part of the support?

I have paid child support for $7000 a month for 2 years. My employment condition changed and I am planning to join a startup. As a result, my salary will be reduced to half and I will receive options. I think I can ask for a reduction on child support based on my new salary, but do I need to give away options as part of the child support?

Asked on November 20, 2015 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can ask for the reduction, and can offer options as part of the support, in partial lieu of the monetary support you'd been paying, but you are unlikely to get the reduction. You state that you are "planning" to join a start-up; it seems from what you write that this is a voluntary career change (joining a start-up, as opposed to keeping or seeking employment at your level in an established company). The law generally does not grant support reductions because of your voluntary choices, because if it did, everyone could cut their obligations by voluntarily changing what they do for a living. Instead, support is generally only cut for long-lasting, significant reductions in income which were not under your control.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.