What can I do if I have outstanding fines in another state and failure to appear andI would like to resolve them?

I have amount in total of 1,065.75 in unpaid fines and two failure to appear. I currently reside in another state. At the time of the offense I was on drugs. I went into to treatment. If I go back to the state in which I got the charges, I will be homeless. I currently have my own place, finished school and obtained certification for what i went to school for and I am volunteering where I use to attend with the strong possibility of getting a full-time permanent job here. How can I avoid jail?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have two failures to appear for a court proceeding where most likely bench warrants have been issued and you owe unpaid fines as well, the best thing for you to do is to retain a criminal defense attorney located in the county and state where the matters are pending to assist you in their resolution.

Possibly the attorney to be retained in the other state to resolve the outstanding bench warrants will be able to have all resolved without the penalty of you having to go to jail.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.