I have one son and his mother and I are not married

I need to create a document so he will receive everything I
own.. properties etc He is a minor

Asked on March 25, 2016 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You do this by will: a will can leave everything to anyone you want. Furthermore, in the will, you would create a "testamentary trust," or a trust that only comes into being when you pass way, which would take effect IF you son is still a minor (or under whatever older age you'd like to see him be before getting your assets--e..g. if you feel 18 is too young to be trusted with money, there could be a trust until he's 25). You'd appoint a trustee--e.g. his mother, or a grandparent, or an uncle/aunt--and set up rules for the trust, such as it can be used for medical care or education. That way, someone other than him would control the money and use it for his benefit until he is the right age. Any lawyer who does wills can draw this up for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.