I have no lease, but a verbal agreement to rent until end of August. They want to evict me at the end of July. What can I do?

I have lived with my current roommate (also the home owner) since September 2008. I had planned to stay until May, but entered into a verbal agreement that I would rent until August. I received a note asking me to move out at the end of July. I feel their reason is not justified (getting married and having a baby in Nov.) and I want to know what my legal standing is.

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Landlord-tenant law is different from one state to another, and I'm not a New Hampshire attorney.  Also, the detailed facts of your situation make a difference, and for reliable advice, you'd need to go through all of that with a lawyer in your area.  One place to find counsel is our website, http://attorneypages.com

If you're sharing a house or a condo unit with the owner, something designed for one family (for example, just one kitchen), you may not even be protected by the full landlord-tenant law, you are actually a "boarder."  And if you don't have a written lease, in most states you would be at best a month-to-month tenant.  So you have gotten the full month's notice you're entitled to, the question you need to ask a lawyer is whether their reason for ending your stay there is good enough.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.