What to do if I have no debt but when I looked at my paycheck today it was $90 short due to a writ of garnishment?

I have had no notification as to why or who I owed money to. What can I do?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to get down to the bottom of what is going on.  You have had to had a judgement rendered against you for something to have your pay check garnished.  If you had no notice then maybe you can vacate the judgement for lack of service (personal jurisdiction).  Find out from your employer from where it came and then find the corresponding court file.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.