If I have my Motion and Order to Show Cause ready, as well as my affidavit, do I serve my ex first and then file the documentss with the court or file the documents and then serve?

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon your question you have the dilemma of doing what is correct procedurally. Under the laws of all states in this country you need to first serve your "ex" with the paperwork and then file the motion with the court. Make sure that you file your proof of service of the motion upon your "ex" at the same time you file the motion.

Make sure you bring copies of the paperwork so you can take a copy home with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.