Is there a way the violation can be removed or not recognized?

I have misdemeanor for unlawfully carrying a weapon from 15 years ago. I served probation and was discharged successfully. I have not been in trouble since and was never convicted of a crime before then. I am about to get a criminal justice degree and the criteria for several jobs is no convictions above Class B; mine is a Class A.

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Possibly you can have your prior conviction expunged. If so, the conviction for the misdemeanor will be eliminated from your record. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about this process.

Not all people who make an application to expunge their conviction are successful. The court looks at the type of conviction, its basis, how long ago the conviction happened, what the convicted person has done since and the reason for the request. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.