Do I have a case if I have liver tumors all over my liver because my old doctor had me on a high dose of birth control pills for too long?

I just had half of my liver removed because some of the tumors were getting too big. Do I have a case against my doctor or the birth control pill company? I was on the pill for 5 years. My recent doctors have been following my tumors for 3 years.

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Malpractice Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it is too late for you to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against your former doctor because the lawsuit was not filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations.

The statute of limitations in CA for filing a medical malpractice lawsuit is 3 years from the date of the injury or 1 year from the date the patient knows or should have known of the injury whichever occurs first.

Since you have known about the tumors for 3 years that your current doctors have been following your condition, you have missed the statute of limitations and your lawsuit will be barred by the statute of limitations.

As for filing a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the birth control pills, you would not have a case because the pills were not defective; the problem was your doctor prescribing an excessive dosage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.