If I have lived with my disabled mother and cared for her all my 58 years, what happens with her house when she dies?

I recently retired and am her POA. The house is under her name. Her Will, which I as drafted 48 years ago, says that her estate shall be divided equally among her 3 children (one of whom is now deceased). I have lived in this house for 50 years. What happens upon her death with the house being it has been my residence all of these years?

Asked on July 13, 2014 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I can see that you have devoted your life to caring for your Mother and it worries you about what will happen when she passes away.  From what you have  written here it appears that the house will have to go through the probate process since it is listed in her name alone and be divided according to her wishes in her Will.  As for the deceased child, if the Will says "per stirpes" then his or her children would share his or her share of the house. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.