If I have lived my house over a year but my landlord has not fixed the water impurities problem, what should I do?

There’s 5 times more sulfate than there should be.

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Every residential tenant has what is known as the right to the "warranty of habitability". This is an implied right in every lease, which gives a tenant the right to live in a clean and safe (i.e. "habitable") premises. And water impurity issue would be such an issue. Accordingly, if your landlord refuses to make necessary repairs, you can:

  • Repair and deduct - You can fix the problem and then charge your landlord for reimbursement;
  • Withhold rent - You can withhold further rental payments until the water is drinkable; or
  • Terminate your lease - You can end your tenancy and move.


However, you need to first consult with a landlord-tenant lawyer before pursuing any of these remedies. If you fail to follow the proper procedures for attempting any of these self-help measures you could be held liable financially. At this point, you can either hire an attorney  or contact a tenant's rights organization. Finally, I would contact your county/city health department to report this condition; if things are as you say, it will compel your landlord to take corrective action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.