If I have lived in a home my father built for me for 15 years but he’s now decided that he wants me and my family out in 10 days, is this legal?

How long do I have?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have been living in a home where title is in the name of your father and not you or your wife and your father wants you and your family to vacate, under the laws of all states in this country he is required to give you at least thirty (30) days written notice of the termination of your lease to give you an opportunity to pack up and find new lodging.

Since the living situation has changed, you should start looking for a new place to live, however, you need at least thirty (30) days written notice to be forced to legally move.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.