I have liability insurance, and need a rental. The other party hit my vehicle, how do I get compensated for the time I have been without a vehicle?

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Accident Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's most likely that you can get compensated for reasonable car rental expenses while your car is being repaired, but you have to actually rent the car.  Some insurance companies will arrange rentals for you, so that they have to pay less for that because they have a deal set up, and the other driver's insurance company might be willing to do that for you because it will save them money, especially if there's no doubt it was the other driver's fault.  Otherwise, your own insurance might include rental coverage, and you should check on that.

It is always a good idea to talk to an attorney after you've been in a car accident, to get all the details of your rights, based on the law in your state and the unique facts of each case.  One place to find a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.