What can I do if I just got fired from a job I’ve held for about 10 years now but was given no reason as to why?

About 2 years ago, I did receive a write-up. Today, I was fired. I thought that a write-up expires after 1 year. Also, when I came to work, they didn’t give me a reason for firing me. They just told me to pack up and leave.

Asked on September 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that you may have no rights in this case. The fact is that most employment relationships are "at will". This means that an employer can set the terms and condituions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This means that they can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. The exceptions to this would be if your employer's action violated a union agreement, employment contract or company policy. Also, yout treatment must not constitute some form of employment retaliation or discrimination.
However, actionable discrimination has to do with someone being treated differnently due to their race, religion, age, disability, gender, national origin or sexual orientation. Absent the foregoing, not all employees need be treated the same or even fairly. Without more facts, on the fact of it, it appears that your employer has done nothing illegal. if you still have questions, you can consult directy with an employment law attorney in your area. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.