I have just been arrested for a first offense DUI, what will happen to me?

I have no previous convictions of any kind. I am very regretful for my stupidity.

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to hire an attorney because even a first offense can carry significant consequences, from license suspension or revocation to including fines, penalties and jail time. You need to speak to a criminal defense attorney about alternative conviction or delayed convictions offered in your state. If you qualify and the prosecutor and judge agree, you can eventually have this expunged from your record. Again, consult an attorney as soon as possible to begin the plea bargaining.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon how high your blood alcohol was, typical first convictions for DUIs is a suspended driver's license for six months, three years probation, a fine of $2,500, increased auto insurance premiums and attending mandatory classes regarding the dangers of drinking and driving.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the charge against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.