I have JTWROS on a manufactured home with my father-in-law, he moved someone in without notifing me?

I have a JTWROS on a manufactured home with my father-in-law. He is 94 years old and not in very good health. He moved someone in without notifing me? I found out that he does not have a rental agreement/lease agreement with this person, does not know their last name and when I asked this person for their last name they refused to give it to me. This person is there only 3 days a week and moved in 3 months ago.
My father-in-law tells me that my brother-in-laws have POA on him, but he refuses to give me their phone numbers. I have tried to reach out on social media. The home is falling apart.
What are my legal rights to remove this person from my property?

Asked on September 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any right to remove her. If you are JTWROS with your father, then he, like you, is an owner of the property. Any owner may let any person he likes live on or in the property; so just as you could move in your significant other, for example, he can move in this woman. You each, as joint tenants, have equal rights to use, occupy, possess, and allow others to use, occupy, and posses the property. One co-owner cannot evict the other co-owner's guests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.