I have have a hair salon with a mice problem (5) I’ve seen and client’s have seen. My business has slow down because of it and i’m scared. what r law

I want out of the building because thats a problem I’ve had now for some time now and there have bee babies mice born, In another suit the ceiling fell in from leaking water from the roof on another tenant and he refoused to fix.

Asked on June 6, 2009 under Business Law, Kansas


Sean C Santoro / Santoro Traffic Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sean Santoro

Attorney at Law

Licensed in Kansas and Missouri

    If the landlord, after notice, refuses to fix problems which impair your use of the property, you can seek to terminate the lease contract. If your landlord refuses to fix this problem, contact me at sean@roadlawyer.net or call 913 441 5025 for further information.


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to write the landlord a letter putting him on notice of the mice problem.  This is not a problem that you should be dealing with as it is the landlord's job to make sure thee is no mice problem.  If the landlord refuses to fix the problem you are permitted to leave the unit under what is called "constructive eviction."  This means that the landlord has not provided you with the basic essentials that you bargained for under the lease and you cannot operate your business.  I suggest having the initial letter about your threat to leave via constructive eviction come from a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.