What to do if I have had an insurance claim pending for 9 months and the company has failed to send me a check even though I have filled out all the necessary paperwork?

They have agreed to pay me $5000 (despite their adjuster saying my loss was over $12,000). I have called more than 20 times a week and I have been in contact with over 10 different adjusters. Each time the new adjuster says they don’t have my paperwork and I have to fill it all out again. I have the letter saying they will send the $5000 but they never do. My car is becoming unsafe to drive because I can not do the necessary repairs without that insurance payout.

Asked on July 17, 2015 under Insurance Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If yoiu believe that your insurer is violating their agreement to pay you the $5,000, as well as, more generally, their obligation under the terms of your policy (which is a contract) to compenstate you for covered losses, your recourse is to sue them for breach of contract; a lawsuit is, unfortunately, the only way to make them live up to their obligations when they seem unwiling to do so. That letter from them would be very good evidence in a lawsuit, since it shows what they agreed to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.