What to do if I have had a tenant living in my house that has not paid rent for 2 months and verbally on several occasions said they were moving?

They will not leave my property; there is no lease or rent reciepts. They have destroyed the house on the inside. When they were supposed to move, Iwanted the water shut off because it;s in my name. The tenant had it kept on and is not paying. What are my options and procedures?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have a tenant that simply is taking advantage of you. You need to have the tenant served with a thirty (30) day notice of termination of his or her lease preferably prepared by a landlord tenant attorney. If the tenant does not leave within the thirty (30) day time period, you will need to file an eviction action against him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.