When can I terminate the parental rights of my children’s mother?

I have full sole custody of my children due to mother having a drug problem and mother is not allowed physical contact with the children only one call a day. I moved to a different state for work purposes allowable by the court and the court ordered child support in my favor. Further, it requested that she do a whole list of things before she can go before the judge again to try for modification. She hasn’t done anything in 6 months (and has noticeably no intention of doing what she needs to do) and I would like to file a termination of rights, is that possible or do I just have to wait years for her to complete her stuff?

Asked on November 15, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The only way that you can have the mother of your children's parental rights terminated for good is to have her allow some third person adopt the minors that you are writing about. If you want to cut off all custodial rights as well as visitation of the mother, consult with a family law attorney to see how you go about this process which usually entails a petition with the court seeking such relief.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.