What can I do if I have 5 children and want to leave a quarter of my state to them but want 1 of my children to get half of what the others are getting?

Asked on November 19, 2015 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can create a will that will leave each of your children exactly half of what the others are getting, and leave the balance of the estate to whomever (or whatever causes/charities) to want. What you describe would be very easy for any attorney who does wills to do for you, and there is nothing controversial or difficult about it. A will lets you control who gets what. You are advised to have a lawyer help you, because while wills are not complex, they are technical: you want the language and the way they are signed to be just right.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.