If I my ex-girlfriend and children have been living in my house for 1.5 years and have not paid rent, if they refuse to leave what are my options?

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your former girlfriend and her children refuse to leave the home you occupy with them that you own and they have not paid rent, your options are to serve them with a 30 day notice of termination or a 3 day notice to pay or quit for money due.

For the above, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to draft the needed document. If you simply want them gone, you need to serve them with the 30 day notice of termination. If they refuse to leave after that time period, your option is to file an eviction lawsuit against them. For that, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.