If my husband has harassed me and beaten me, what are my rights?

I have documentation of threats from my ex saying he wants to kill me. He’s a cop and he says that will find me anywhere. He has been harassing me and won’t leave me alone. I blocked his number and now he contacts me through emails. He has hit me and grabbed me and left bruises. I ended up in the hospital several times and got diagnosed with anxiety/depression. I ended up going to the courts and getting a temporary order of protection and have to go back to court to finalize it. Can I have him pay for my medical bills?

Asked on September 2, 2013 under Personal Injury, Missouri


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You should report it to law enforcement.  Ih sufficiently verifiable, your spouse may be charged with criminal terroristic threats.  You may also be able to seek an Order for Protection which is a restrainingordeer barring your spouse from your home, work and any other communication. 


You should retain legal counsel since your spouse will ikely fight the restraining ordeer.  If he is found to have committed acts of abuse, he will be uinable to possess a weapon and will be unable to work in the police department in all likelihood.  


Maury D. Beaulier

Attorney at Law

(612) 240-8005

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.