If I have bench warrants worth a total of $200 in fines for failing to appear in court and for failing to pay fines, how do I go about having these cleared?

They were issued over 2 years ago and I have not been in trouble since.

Asked on February 10, 2016 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that warrants do not expire, so you are right to take care of this. And the sooner the better. Not only will this impair your ability to get a job, if stopped by the police for even a minor infraction you will be taken into custody. You'll need to go to court and appear before a judge. What you really should do is to consult directly with a criminal law attorney in the area of where the warrants were issued. They can use their contacts within the court sysytem to your best advantage. If money is still an issue for you, see if there is a law school nearby; they typically run free/low cost legal clinics. You can also contact the local or state bar assocoiation to see if they have a lsit of attorneys who will handle your cost "pro bono" (i.e. for free). You can also contact legal aid or see if you are eligable for a public defender. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.