If I I’ve been working as a independent contractor for someone for approximately 3 years, do I now have to provide my SSN?

Recently the situation has gone sour and I will no longer be working for her. She did not request my SSN until a few days ago. Apparently she has not filed taxes in at least 3 years. She said her CPA needs it for her taxes. In response to her request for my SSN, I told her to have her CPA send me a notarized letter stating the purpose. Here is her exact reply, “LOL, you cannot ask for CPA notarized paper. By law you must give me your SSN”. I need the notarized letter for my records and to verify the identity and validity of the CPA. Don’t I have a legal right to request this? If she or the CPA refuse to provide me with this can I refuse to provide my SSN?

Asked on October 26, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have to provide your SSN (or if you worked under the rubric of an LLC, the EIN): it is necessary for tax filing and is commonly provided by all independent contractors. There is no obligation on their part to provide you with a notarized CPA letter. You can refuse to provide the SSN and they can inform the tax authorities that the reason they don't have this information is your non-cooperation; the authorities may or may not do anything with that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.