What to do if I recently discovered that someone forged my signature on 2 separate deeds of real estate that I own and transferred them into their name?

Asked on October 29, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You file a police report IMMEDIATELY: this is a major crime, and not only should this person be punished, but filing the report and pressing charges will help you untangle ownership, too, since it will be evidence of the fact that it was a crime. (It would look very odd if you don't file a police report and seek to press charges, and that appearance of a strange omission could bias a court against you.)
2) You bring a legal action on an emergent basis (think "urgent" or "emergency") looking for an injunction (court order) preventing any further transfers of this property; a declaratory judgment, or court determination, that the transfers are void and you are still the owner; and monetary damages or compensation (such as for your legal fees and any other costs or losses you incur). This is not a simple action to file: retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.