Why is it my responsibility if customers are not buying enough items from my store?

I have been with my employer for over a year now and never had any problems until I transferred to a different store. Now I constantly have problems. The biggest one is my low basket averages because suppossedley customers aren’t buying enough products from me. They told me I need to get customers to buy more items. That’s not really fair at all. A customer is most likely going to buy whatever they came in for in the first place. It’s just stupid. Why is it my fault if the customer isn’t buying enough? They say it’s a sign that I’m stealing or sliding items. First of all, it’s impossible to gather that kind of information from this and, second of all, I’ve never stolen or slid an item and they can check the security cams if they want. What should I do if I’m fired?

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything if you are fired unless you had an employment contract which prevented you from being fired in this case. That is because without a contract, you are an employee at will, and an employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason, including for reasons which are unfair, incorrect, or not the employee's fault. An employee at will has no rights to a job; it can be taken away at any time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.