What to do if I have been using my mother’s last name since I was a little girl but am now having problems obtaining a license?

I have everything including my social security card with her last name on it. My birth certificate has my father’s last name as my last name. I have never had a problem with it until now. I have moved to another state and in order to get a license or even an ID, I need to have my birth certificate match everything else. I wanted to know if I have to do a name change or can I just legally add my mom’s last name to my current last name to sure a record of it being added. I’m not exactly sure how to proceed. Also, do I have to do this where I was born or can I do it in the state that I currently live in?

Asked on September 27, 2013 under Business Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a certified copy of your birth certificate and then go to your state's department of motor vehicles to get the driver's license that you want with your legal name upon it. You can seek the driver's license you want in the state where you reside with the certified copy of the birth certificate I have suggested.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.